Abbondanza!
for when you don't know what else to say

Sunday, December 24, 2006

Aural Egg Nog

When it comes to the holidays, I am late with everything. Decorations, cards, shopping: pretty much everything. Including posting this article. Even though I'm feeling a bit Bah Humbug about Christmas this year, I still enjoy the music of the season. And for that reason, I will share with you my favorite Christmas tunes.
  • Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, Judy Garland: I love the Judy, and I love the movie this came from (Meet Me In St. Louis). It's the perfect mix of melancholy and hope that things will get better. Seriously makes me teary-eyed every time.

  • Do They Know It's Christmas Time, Band Aid: Kind of ridiculous messaging if you realize for a moment that a huge portion of the population doesn't celebrate xmas or ever have snow to be wistful about not having around at xmas. So awesome though to have U2, Wham, Bananarama, Duran Duran, Culture Club, and all my 80s brit faves singing together for the betterment of mankind. Beats "We Are The World" in a landslide.

  • Mele Kalikimaka, Bing Crosby: Just because I like to say Mele Kalikimaka all year round. Try it. It's fun!

  • Christmas Wrapping, The Waitresses: This song is so me, waiting in line all sullenly in high school and early college at the Circle K on the holidays, glad to have a moment to myself where I didn't have to be pretend to believe in Santa.

  • Sleigh Ride, Johnny Mathis: Spencer likes to make fun of me because not only did I mistakenly think Johnny Mathis was Polynesian, but also I thought he was straight. Who knew? This proud gay black man sings one hell of a Christmas classic.

  • Last Christmas I Gave You My Heart, Wham!: So awesome to hear the sad George Michael all dumped and sad. I always dreamed that I would be the someone special he gave his heart to next year. Little did I know then just how impossible that was.

  • Holly Jolly Christmas, Burl Ives: I love how warm Burl's voice is. And I remember fondly all those musicals he did for Disney back in the day. Plus? His name is BURL IVES. How awesome is that?

  • Christmas in Hollis, Run DMC: Love it - and the video kicks ass!

  • Carol of the Bells: I have performed this is in several choirs, and to this day I can't help but giggle a little when the baritones start ringing in with "Ding DONG Ding DONG." Very cool when it comes together, and blessedly short.

  • Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree, Brenda Lee: I love Brenda Lee, and her voice is so great with the part that goes "voices singing let's be jolly / DECK the halls with boughs of hahaholly".
Is there a tune you could listen to all year round? For me, it's definitely the Band Aid song. I love synthesizers, what can I say?

If you celebrate the holiday, Merry Christmas. And if you don't, Happy Monday!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home